Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Disremember" Do you ever use this word? - Writing Forum


My grandfather used "Disremember" or "Disremembered" often. The older he got, the more he disremembered.

As I recall, Pap didn't forget much but he often disremembered things. At 70, I find myself disremembering
things from time to time and I'm beginning to use Pap's word when speaking or writing. My definition of disremember is,
"Something not completely remembered in time or context." Disremembering long ago events is a great excuse for some serious
creative license when writing old tales.

I wrote a tale for my Mom for a Mother's Day present about 30 years ago. The tale was about one of my earliest
memories of her dad, my Pap. I realized I "Disrememberd" parts of the actual event so I started the tale with this line:
"Memories, like pebbles in a brook, are smoothed and gently rounded by the fast flowing stream of time." That line
let me off the hook for accuracy.

These days I am still a lot like an elephant; I never forget. I will, however, occasionally admit to disremembering.

Source: http://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=57551

USA Basketball taio cruz taio cruz Winter Olympics 2014 powerball numbers freddie mercury Horshack

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.